Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Blogger Progress

I've been making a real effort to get this thing off the ground. It's kind of hard to get motivated about posting when I know for a fact that no one is looking at this yet. But I did start a flickr account and have been uploading pictures so I can have a collection of finished item pictures to put up. I'm realizing that I forget to take pictures of a lot of things that I have made. I guess it's time to get on that. I think it would be easier if there was someone around that could take pictures of me wearing the clothes. And I don't really want to ask my roommate all the time. Nor do I want a lot of mirror pictures.

I've been working pretty diligently on the Turtleneck Shrug from the Scarf Style book. I'm using Elsebeth Lavold angora yarn that I bought at the Superbowl sale at Unwind. I only have 6 skeins and I'm not sure if I'm going to make it. It's a different gauge from Rowan Kid Classic, so I had to change the numbers around. I think I made the sleeves a little snug. In hindsight I'm thinking I should have knit even looser. I thought they looked okay until I tried on the almost completed first arm and shoulder. I think that's it's just a little too bulky to be flattering. But we'll see. Someone on the Scarf Style KAL used the same yarn, and ran out of yarn with 7 skeins. But maybe my sleeves are narrower, and slightly shorter than the pattern asks for... maybe? If I have to, the yarn is currently on sale at WEBS, so I could buy more if I need to. I'm hoping I can finish this soon because I really want to move on to a more interesting project. And I bought so much yarn at Stitches West the other weekend, and would like to get started on something new. Something cabled or lacy.

Last weekend I went to a sale at The Little Knittery in Los Feliz. I wasn't planning on getting much, maybe some books. There were hardly any books, but I ended up getting a ton of yarn. It actually made me feel a little bad about myself later. I ended up buying stuff I wasn't thrilled about just because of the sale. But to be fair, everything that I bought was 75% off! And you almost never see that kind of deal. I bought a bunch of Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk, maybe for a lacy shrug in the Knit 2 Together book, a bunch of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Astrakhan in blacks and creams. There was also some Noro Transitions and some other wool yarns. I'm tempted to make a felted cat bed. I don't have a cat, but my roommate and I are discussing getting one. Or I could always give it to my ex-boyfriend's cat. Yes, I realize how ridiculous that sounds. I never thought I would felt with Noro. I've never understood people that felt Manos del Uruguay either. But at 75% off, I don't really mind doing it. There's that cute cat bed by Wendy. I also really want to make one of the moebius cat beds from Cat Bordhi's A Second Treasury of Magical Knitting. There's a really cute one with fair isle at the base, and another one that has little front legs and a tail on it. And it would be fun to try something moebius. But then I'd have to buy giant circular needles.

Things I love today: Borat, Arrested Development, easter candy and artichokes.

Things I hate today: Having to pack for a wedding and people on the knit list that continue to ask the same questions about gauge, relaxing circular needles and taking needles on the airplane.

1 comment:

Palaboy said...

I just read somewhere that someone made a cat bed out from old leather bag. I didnt know you can use that for that kind of product.